Next steps after admission

Student Visa

EMMIR students from outside Europe will need to obtain student visas before coming to Oldenburg. It is necessary to get a visa for Germany in advance. You will have to apply for the visas necessary for study year two once your individual mobility track is laid down (not before September).


The official confirmation of your admittance to EMMIR enables you to apply for a student visa. Please note that visa application procedures might take some time (up to several months). For information related to visa requirements, you are advised to contact the relevant German Consulate or Embassy as soon as possible.


Please apply for a STUDENT VISA, not a so called Schengen Visa. Only the Student Visa allows you to receive a Schengen residence permit in Germany and stay in Europe for the full two years of the programme. A Schengen Residence Permit issued in Oldenburg will allow you to travel to Norway without any further visa.


The EMMIR team will provide the German Consulate/Embassy in your country of permanent residence (i.e. the country the admission letter is addressed to) with a letter documenting your admission to the programme and all necessary details. Furthermore, we will provide you with advice and supporting documents which should facilitate the process, if necessary. Please let us know if we can be of further help. However, please bear in mind that it is your sole responsibility to obtain a visa in time.


Apart from the letter of admission and a valid passport, you will need a proof of financial means to apply for a visa. Presently, foreign students coming to Germany must prove that they have at least 7,908 Euro per year at their disposal (659 Euro per month) plus travel costs and tuition fees. This proof can be provided in various ways; the following forms are generally accepted:

  • You receive a scholarship from a recognised scholarship provider
  • Your parents submit documents certifying their income and financial assets.
  • A resident in Germany provides the Foreign Residents’ Office a guarantee to cover your expenses.
  • A security payment is deposited into a blocked account.
  • You submit a bank guarantee or you submit a bank guarantee.

Please remember to bring all the relevant original documents to Germany (passport, degree, proof of financial means). You will need them to a) apply for your residence permit in Oldenburg and b) for visas according to your mobility track in study year two. Please find general information concerning visa application at the German Foreign Secretary's website. Please follow this link to find out if you are required to apply for a visa.

Cost of Living

The information below is useful to both scholarship and full fee paying students who will need an idea of how to financially support their stay in Europe/Africa.


Oldenburg/Germany: 700 to 1000 Euro/month

The cost of living in Germany is relatively high. However, there are many ways for students to reduce their costs: student dormitories and shared flats offer affordable housing, cheap super markets and pubs catering to students are also helpful. Cultural events, sports centres as well as public transport even certain shops offer student discounts. Estimations of living costs (incl. accommodation, food, leisure, etc.) in Germany vary between 700 and 1000 Euro per month. Find more detailed information on the website of the German Studentenwerk.


Stavanger/Norway: about 1150 Euro/month

Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world and it takes a while getting used to the high cost of living. As a student you will need a minimum of approximately 9000 NOK (about 1150 Euro) per month in order to cover basic expenses. However, as a student you can access discounts and significantly reduce your expenses. Manage your budget well and you can enjoy a wide range of activities. Follow this link to find information on average prices in Stavanger.


Nova Gorica/Slovenia: about 600 Euro/month

The cost of living in Slovenia is relatively cheap compared to that of Germany or Norway. Prices are highest in Ljubljana, in Nova Gorica students need an average of 600 Euro per month to get along.


Ceské Budejovice/Czech Republic: 400 to 600 Euro/month

The Czech Republic is one of the cheaper European countries in the partnership, you will need only 400 to 600 Euro per month to get along. Find out more about student life in the Czech Republic on this website. For a room in Ceské Budejovice's student dorm you pay only around 90 euro per month, lunch in the canteen is around 2 Euro.


Omdurman or Khartoum/Sudan: about 700 Euro/month

The approximate costs for living expenses per months around Sudan's capital sum up to around 700 Euro per month. The monthly rent for a studio or appartment is around 250 Euro (incl. electricity and internet), all other living expenses should not exceed 15 Euro per day.


Mbarara/Uganda: about 500 Euro/month

You will need around 450 to 500 Euro per month to get along in Mbarara. The monthly rent for a single room on campus is around 120 Euro including utilities. All other living expenses should not exceed 10-12 Euro per day. A return trip to Kampala by car service is around 350 Euro, buses operate regularly at a price of around 10 Euro per trip. 

Accommodation in Oldenburg

In the City of Oldenburg, student houses are spread all over town. You can either choose to live in a student hall or in a shared flat or independent apartment. While most of the halls are owned by the Student Service at the University of Oldenburg (Studentenwerk), most shared flats or apartments are in private ownership.


Even though we will assist you with finding accommodation according to your needs, it is your responsibility to find a place to stay. Please be aware that there will be a shortage of rooms because in October all new courses will begin at the University of Oldenburg. Thus, we advise you to look for an accommodation as soon as possible. Wherever you will stay, please make sure to arrange for your move-out well before you leave with your landlord.

Student Houses

If you choose to stay in a furnished room offered by the Student Service you should be prepared to live in shared apartments. Usually, single and double apartments have their own bathroom and kitchen or kitchenette, whereas in the shared flats you will find shared kitchens and bathrooms. There are no meals provided in the halls of residence. The rent for these rooms range between 200 Euro and 350 Euro per month. If you like to get an impression check the photos of the dormitories (German only) at

Private Accommodation

Alternatively you can look for private accommodation (rent ranges between 200 Euro and approx. 350 Euro per month). The EMMIR team is constantly looking for subleases around town so we might be able to arrange a private room or flat. You can find private accommodation for example at

Health Insurance

Insurance is granted for all EMMIR students based on an arrangement between UOL and IPS/Meeús Assurantien BV. The insurance is specifically designed for EM students, hence the arrangements meet the minimum EM programme requirements for insurance coverage in all respects, for example a 24 hours multi-language emergency call centre, covering all costs for treatments necessary or medically appropriate medical evacuation in case of illness, pregnancy/childbirth and accident without retention (see The insurance is valid in all EU/EEA/EFTA countries, and the third countries in the partnership without any further notice. Insurance will automatically be in place from your first day of travel to Germany; costs will be deducted you’re your participation costs.


Please note that apart from short family visits, this insurance is not valid within your home country/country of permanent residence (for exceptions, please see the detailed conditions).

Enrolment at the University of Oldenburg

Enrolment procedures at the University of Oldenburg will have to be finalised in person after your arrival. You will need to present originals of the documents provided with your application (diplomas a.o.).


You will be enrolled as a student at the University of Oldenburg for the entire duration of EMMIR. While studying at other partner institutions in accordance with your mobility path, you will be on leave as a student at the University of Oldenburg. If you have questions concerning university enrolment and registration with local authorities, please get in contact with the ISO team.

Residence Permit

Within one week after your arrival in Oldenburg you will have to:


a) register with the local authorities (Bürgeramt, Pferdemarkt 14)

b) apply for a residence permit that enables you to travel in the Schengen area (including all four European partner universities) and that is valid for two years.


Oldenburg University’s International Student Office (ISO) will provide support for this in early September. This permit entitles you to travel to Norway (see below) and apply for a residence permit there; and b) re-entry Germany at a later stage. Please note: If you plan your mobility path more than 6 months outside of Germany, you can apply for a permit supplement at the Foreign Residents’ Office in order to re-enter (the residency expires otherwise automatically).


Mandatory documents for residence permit application:

  • Current confirmation of health insurance (will be provided by EMMIR)
  • Proof of funding (see Student Visa)
  • Copy of your passport and your passport
  • Confirmation of enrolment (will be issued by the university)
  • A fee of 100 Euro
  • Biometric passport photograph (can be taken at the Foreign Residents’ Office)

Students from EU states will only have to register with the local authorities.

Registration in Norway

Students must be in possession of a valid Schengen residence permit (issued in Oldenburg in September). If and ONLY if the Schengen permit is valid, you will be allowed entry into Norway. During your first days in Norway, you must apply for a study permit. You do this online.


Having been granted a study permit, you will also be able to work for up to 20 hours a week while you are studying and full-time during holidays. If you wish to spend semester 3 and 4 in Norway as well, you are well advised to make a decision in this matter prior to applying for the student permit. The permit processing fee is 3200 NOK (approx. 350 EUR). You will be given advice and guidance in letters from our International Office before you arrive in Norway, and during Orientation Day when you first arrive in Stavanger.

Important Documents

In this section you can find the most relevant documents pertaining to your studies in EMMIR:

  • Study and Examination Regulations
  • Model Student Contract
  • EMMIR Complaint Procedures

The documents are currently under revision, downloads will be available soon.


Please visit our FAQ section.

Last modified: 2018-04-29