- The programme builds upon a first degree such as a Bachelor' degree (or an equivalent qualification) in a field related to migration studies: e.g. Social sciences, History, Cultural studies, Educational sciences, Law, Economics, Development Studies and Journalism.
- The final grade of the first degree must be a minimum (or equivalent) of C+ and proven by certificates. You are expected to provide documentation of a final first degree by the deadline (a transcript attesting that you took all exams necessary to finish the programme is accepted).
- Applicants have to document knowledge of migration studies, intercultural relations and empirical methods. Modules completed at the undergraduate level, papers, essays and examination results are considered valid documentation. Preference will also be given to qualified applicants who, in addition, have relevant professional experience.
- Your last degree obtained should not be older than 5 years. If it is older, please male sure to explain in your statement of purpose why you chose to go back to university.
Applicants whose native language is not English or whose undergraduate instruction was not in English must demonstrate proficiency in English by the application deadline. Acceptable tests of English language competence are:
|Language test||Min. score|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language |
|Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|International English Language Test |
|Advanced Placement International English Language |
|Michigan English Language Assessment Battery |
|Cambridge Assessment English: Proficiency||C/C1|
|Cambridge Assessment English: Advanced||C|
|Cambridge Assessment English: First||A|
* For TOEFL you will need to give ETS our Designated Institution Code which is 3556 (University of Oldenburg). For IELTS you can submit your Test Report Form number. We can then use this to verify your score via the IELTS website. A Copy of either Test results via online application form is appreciated.
We consider language certificates valid for two years.
Non-native English speakers who fall in one of the following categories may request an English language proficiency waiver, i.e.
- applicants from countries where English is one of several official languages find a list here
- applicants who have obtained their undergraduate degree from a university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK, the USA or New Zealand
- applicants who, within the past five years, spent a minimum of two consecutive academic years of study at a university or institution of higher education in Australia, Canada, Ireland, the UK, the USA or New Zealand and whose language of instruction was English
- applicants who have minimum two years work experience in an international company where English is the official working language (attestation from the employer which testifies proficiency in both written and spoken English must be provided)
In each of the above cases the Consortium Committee reserves the right to request evidence of English language proficiency.
If English is your native language ...
Please note: Applicants whose native language is English must demonstrate proficiency in a second language relevant to migration studies by the application deadline at a level corresponding to the list above. Applicants might be asked to justify the language's relevance to migration studies.
The Consortium Committee Selection Board takes into account the following:
- Relevance and level of academic qualification
- Relevance and level of research/professional experience
- Proficiency in second/third language
Assessment of the applications will be carried out by the Consortium Committee Selection Board. Applicants who fail to provide necessary documentation will be excluded from further application procedures.
Accepted applicants will receive a letter of acceptance from the Consortium Committee as well as an official notification from the University of Oldenburg. The notification of acceptance will contain further information about how to register for the programme and a deadline for registration. If this deadline is not met, the notification of acceptance will be null and void.